Freedom of Information (FOI)

Under the Freedom of Information Act, you have the right to request documents held by us. You also have the right to ask us to amend incorrect or misleading personal information we hold about you.

An FOI application must be in writing, and it must be accompanied by the application fee or a request to waive the fees on the basis of hardship.

We encourage you to contact us at for advice and assistance before you submit your FOI application so we can help ensure you submit a valid application.

Accessing information without the need for a formal FOI application

In many instances, we will be able to provide the information you are requesting without the need to make a formal FOI application . We encourage you to contact the FOI officer to discuss what documents or information you are seeking. This will help us to consider if we can release the documents without a formal FOI request.

Accessing documents by lodging a Freedom of Information Application

To make a Freedom of Information request, you will need to put your request in writing and clearly describe the documents you are seeking access to. You can complete and submit the following form:

Freedom of Information request
Word 302.88 KB
(opens in a new window)

For FOI requests relating to your personal information, we may request evidence of your identity (e.g. a copy of your current drivers licence, passport or other photographic identification).

You may need to pay an application fee or provide evidence that you qualify to have the fee waived due to hardship (e.g. a copy of a Centrelink concession card).

Freedom of information – correction of personal information

The FOI Act also gives you the right to request the amendment of personal information held by us if it is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or where the information could give a misleading impression.


Phone: 1800 246 054 (free call)

Post: Mental Health and Wellbeing Commission, Level 26, 570 Bourke St, Melbourne, Victoria 3000